Weekends have been spent doing and redoing the conduit and electrical line in our trench. Last weekend in a frozen trench. There is a whole tale of woe to tell but I’ll spare you to give you a little upbeat tidbit instead. Besides the inspector will have the last word on that one.
I came back tired and nearly thawed, eager to have some bacon, eggs, fresh baked bread and espresso. Our machine is no great shakes and has been coming apart for a while, with a big crack forming in the plastic handle. I’ve been eyeing this and thinking about ways to fix it. Maybe filling it with epoxy? It looked like there was a little bolt holding the metal portafilter to the handle deep inside the hollow handle. Could I make something and drill a long enough hole to attach the metal part? Maybe step down a hole to get a small socket in there?
So when it did finally come apart in L’s hands I had a game plan, but there was a sense of urgency. Morning coffee depended on it!
I found a doug fir 2×3 scrap in the garage and cut it to size. Then I drilled a hole all the way through it freehand and began drilling the shape of the metal part into the end. Chisels came out to finish the job, drill again, chisel. Then I dropped the bolt in and presto a handle that was functional. I thought about stopping there. I wanted to stop there. It seemed funny to bring back my 2×3 rough framing job and call it good. But I couldn’t.
I went in search of a knife… only finding an ancient fish filet knife and began to whittle and carve at it. Dry doug fir chips and splits more than taking a clean shaving so I switched to a coarse rasp.
In two hours I was done. I did it once. It went to plan. It is stronger and more attractive than the original. I’ll varnish it tonight to make it fully kitchen ready.
Gosh I needed a quick win.